Thursday, September 11, 2014

Have You Forgotten?

I haven't logged into my blog account in well over a week, at least not from a computer. Mostly because I have been fighting a nasty cold.

13 years ago, I was in the process of being checked out of school as the news was showing the first plane hit the towers. The principle had announced for all teachers to turn on the TV. I watched as the plane ran into the building, and I immediately thought something had happened and the pilot had died and no one could fly the plane, so it just ran into the building. Then the second plane hit. I knew then something was seriously wrong. Though in my young age, I had no idea what it really meant. The front office called my teacher to let them know I was being checked out. Together, my mom and I traveled to some office, though I don't remember what for. I sat in the front watching the news unfold. I saw the tragedy. Later, I would realize what it all meant.

9/11/2001 shook me to my core for years. So much so that I had all plans to join the military as soon as I could. God had a different plan for me, and I didn't join the military. Several people thought that the war was not needed. They were angry that troops were deployed for so long. I don't ever recall feeling that way. I remember telling a friend years later that I highly doubt that our brave men and women in the military have forgotten what they are fighting for.

Our freedom is not free. We must remember that. 2 years ago, we lost 4 in the Benghazi attacks. And today, we are having to deal with ISIL. I am afraid our country is getting comfortable again, and that leaves us vulnerable. We live in a world where evil is everywhere. It is a scary thought. I don't want to deal with another terrorist attack, but I feel it is inevitable. That is why it is so important to remember 9/11 everyday and not just on the anniversary.

I haven't forgotten. I haven't forgotten how it felt to see the towers fall. I haven't forgotten what our soldiers fight for. Have you?

9/11. Never Forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...