Tuesday, June 10, 2014

[How To] Making Your Guests Feel Welcome




Over Memorial Day weekend, my in-laws came to visit. We have lived in Chattanooga for 3 years, and while they have visited a handful of times, this was the first time they were staying overnight. To say I was nervous was an understatement. This was the first time they were staying in our home. I have been married to their son for almost 4 years, but at times I still feel like I need to make a good impression so they feel like their son married the right girl. Call me crazy, but I want my in-laws to like me. I want to have a great relationship with them.

Any way, when I visit places, like hotels, I always feel welcome. For example, there is a hotel in downtown Chattanooga that we love. It is pretty much the only one we stay in. They give you a fresh baked cookie when you check in, and your room is stocked normal bathroom items hotels stock, but it isn't the cheap stuff, it is a much nicer brand, and in most cases, a much better product than the normal shampoo and conditioner I use at home. Like I said, I feel welcomed.

On my very first cruise, the bathroom was stocked with several trial size items, which really made me feel at home. It also came in handy when I realized I forgot a razor. It is the little things I tell ya.

One of the things on my "to do" list is to figure out how to make my guests feel welcome. I have a love of "mini" items, or trial size items as normal people would call them. So I have slowly been collecting "mini" items and single use items for this exact weekend. Here is how I made my in-laws feel welcome in our home.







How about we talk about the guest room first? Clean room : check. Clean bedding : check. Now on to the "welcome" feeling.

  • Fresh flowers are a must. To me it shows that you really took the time to plan.
  • A few snacks. I had a cute basket laying around and I decided to fill it with tons of healthy snacks. You never know when or if your guest will get hungry, and a small snack in their room is much easier than your guests trying to find something in the kitchen. 
  • Bottles of water. I didn't think about this until later, but it goes in line with the snacks.  
  • Something to read. We had a bunch of magazines laying around, so I picked some that I thought they might like. This gives your guests something to read as they are laying in bed at the end of a long day. 
  • Coffee/tea. I think this little touch is a great way to really personalize the room with each new guest. For us, we knew that C's mom doesn't drink coffee, but she likes tea, so for her, I gave her a few options. C's dad on the other hand drinks coffee, so K-cups for him. Our Keurig is actually in the kitchen, but I am on the lookout for a good deal on a small one to put in the guest room. 
  • Ear plugs. Our lovely puppy is an outside dog. (I know, it breaks my heart, that is why I hate renting.) Chaco sometimes decides that she wants to play with her food bowl and throw it around, loudly. So to help ensure that our guests can sleep with some quite, I add a single use pack of ear plugs for each guest. 
  • A little note. Taking the time to write out something to your guests is really important. It is just a little something extra to really make them feel welcome. 

On to the guest bath. 









On the Counter : 

  • Fluffy Towels. We prefer these towels. They are the softest towels we have found. I always make sure that the towels are folded, and easy to find. 
  • His & Hers deodorant
  • His & Hers cologne/perfume
  • His & Hers razors
  • His & Hers body wash
  • Shampoo/Conditioner
  • Lotion
  • Hair Spray
  • Tooth brush
  • Yes to! face wipes
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Q-tips
In the Drawer : 
  • Nail file
  • Fingernail/toenail clippers
  • Tweezers
  • Safety pins
  • Nail polish remover wipes
  • Tooth paste
  • Hair ties
  • Bobby pins
I feel like they felt welcome and at home. I love that I now have a go to list for when we have company. I always restock any "mini" items used so that way the bathroom items are ready to go in case of a last minute guest. I always empty the snack basket when our guests leave and I restock it before new guests arrive. Hopefully this will help you make your guest feel welcome.

Would you add anything else?
If you used this list, I would love to hear how it worked for you. Tell me about it in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. You are honestly the cutest and the sweetest! One day when we have a bigger house and can accommodate guest better I am totally using your awesome ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that is awesome! seriously, you out do yourself and I love it. Taking these notes down for us some day having a guest room and guest bath! By the way, thanks for stopping by my blog earlier and commenting. I tried responding but it says you're a "no reply blogger" - if you google that, it will tell you how to fix it. I just like telling people because I was once there and had no idea why people wouldn't respond to comments I made on their blog. It wasn't because they didn't want to, it was because they couldn't. Anyways, just wanted to let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute post! I love making sure guests feel comfortable too, but you put me to shame a little! haha. Great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you may or may not know, I'm slowly reading some of your blog posts. As one-half of the above mentioned in-laws, I must say that you absolutely nailed it on the hospitality front! We felt very welcomed in your home! A four-star hotel couldn't have done a better job! Plus, we get to leave and let you figure out what is upside down!! LOL! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...