Friday, June 20, 2014

5 Things I Learned About Blogging This Week

I am not a DIY-er when it comes to computer stuff, or HTML, or anything like that really. I would much rather pay someone else so that it is done right, and done on the first try. This week however, I have learned quite a bit about blogging. I took the time to read a few tutorials, and well, I learned some new things! Here are 5 things I learned about blogging this week.

1. I learned how to install the Hello Bar you now see at the top of my blog. I'm not sure I will keep it up, but for now it is staying. When I decide to have sponsors, I'll use it for ad sales

2. Speaking of sponsors, I learned that you need to wait until your blog is ready for sponsors. I had a "advertise" page, but in the end, I realized that I'm just not ready for that yet. Plus, I have sponsored a few blogs and not gotten what I paid for, and well, I really want to make sure that I can commit to giving sponsors what they pay for.

3. HootSuite might actually be my favorite blogging tool. I used it some last week, but I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but now I love it! Scheduling tweets and posts is so much easier than trying to remember to do them throughout they day. If I am being honest, I would never remember if I didn't schedule them after I write a post.

4. Thanks to Sarah's post, I am currently working on an "about me" gadget. It is a lot easier than I thought, and doing it myself means that I can make as many as I want until I feel comfortable with it.

5. It is important to have a "best of" page. It is a great way to showcase what posts people love for new readers. I finally added mine. It isn't pretty, but I am still working on it.

Bonus - The big thing I learned is that it is important to pick a name that is "you." Sure my last name is Long, so "My Life As A Long" works, but I decided on it at the last minute, and well, I haven't ever been happy with it. So I am in the process of coming up with a new name. I have narrowed it down to 3 that I like, "The 423 Blog" "Life in the 423" and "Chatty Girl." Both showcase Chattanooga. (423 being the area code for Chattanooga, and Chatty is a nickname for Chattanooga) I am personally leaning towards "The 423 Blog" but I am afraid it is a little misleading. So, I would love your opinions. And if you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear those as well.

Happy weekend!!

*Cait

Linking up for 5 on Friday

5 comments:

  1. I've been loving your blog since I found it! This is really helpful...I've heard a few people talking about Hootsuite so I think I'm going to sign up! It would be really nice to have a few tweets scheduled so I don't have to stop what I'm doing and post one.

    Ivy xx
    Style Life Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you through Kallie (but first, coffee). :) great post, it was especially informative as I am a new blogger - gonna head over to find you on bloglovin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from the linkup and I love these lessons. I had to completely revamp my blog to change my name and I lost nearly all my followers because I accidentally changed the link the wrong way and essentially dropped off the earth! (I mean, not that I had a lot, but it was so hard getting up there and I'm feeling like I may never get there again!) Good luck with the switch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! I use tweetdeck to schedule tweets, and I love it. Also I've tried Buffer before, which sends posts to multiple pages. Might be worth a look! Visiting from the link up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coming up with a name is SO hard! I recently switched to a new blog, and a whole load of names I wanted were unavailable. Now I'm not so sure I even like what I've gone with... But it will do for now!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...