Thursday, May 29, 2014

[How To] Getting Back Into Working Out After A Minor Injury

I know I have mentioned it before, but I hurt my back at the end of March. It is what caused me to really take the blog breaks I did. But it did more than that. It stopped my workouts. After my first visit to the chiropractor, I was hoping all was going to be okay, but that wasn't the case. Instead the chiropractor told me no working out, just walking. How am I supposed to "just walk?" Needless to say, I was unhappy. So I did what anyone would do, I ordered a pizza and sat my butt on the couch. Anyone else guilty of that? Here I am almost 2 months later, and I have gotten the semi-go ahead to work out. I am meeting with a physical therapist twice a week, and I have to do the exercises at home as well. Getting back into this is a lot harder than I expected, and I have learned a few things along the way.



#1 : You do have to walk before you run : In most cases, you will need to scale your workouts way back. After all, you are recovering from an injury. Take a deep breath. It will get better. Start out slow. Go for a walk, then after a week, or so, add in some jogging if you body can handle it. If you had been working out before your injury pretty regularly, it shouldn't take long for your muscles to remember. You will be back to running in no time.

#2 : You won't be who you were before : Like I said, you will probably need to scale your workouts back. Prepare yourself for that. Nothing is worse than planning a lifting session and not being able to complete it. Mentally prepare yourself before that initial workout.

#3 : Stay Motivated : It will be difficult at first, but you will be back to where you were. The key is to stay motivated. Figure out what motivates you, and make sure to motivate yourself daily.

#4 Listen to your Doctor and your body : It is so important to make sure you listen to your doctor. Doctors go to school for years and they know what they are doing, so listen to them. If your doctor says no running for 5 weeks, don't run. Be sure to listen to your body as well. Your body will tell you if it isn't ready for that 100 lb back squat. Listen and know when to slow down. The last thing you want to do is injure yourself again.

#5 Remember You Can Do This! : Just breathe. Your recovery may take longer than expected. It may take less time. Remember you will get back to where you were. It was only a minor injury. Stay positive. Stay happy. Progress is progress no matter how slow. Slow progress is still a step in the right direction. Remember you can do this!

I'm off for a quick workout before work. Slow and steady wins the race.

Have you ever had a minor injury keep you from working out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...