Saturday, March 1, 2014

Cruise Recap : Ports of Call

To read the other posts in this series, start here. 


Coco Cay, Bahamas

On this cruise, C and I decided not to get off the ship at Coco Cay. We had visited several times before, and decided that our time would be best spent on the ship, however, I still would like to share my experience from January 2013 when we visited Coco Cay. 



 Coco Cay is one of Royal Caribbeans private islands. I've personally only ever been to this island out of the ones they have. Coco Cay is such a great place. As a general rule, the only people that are on the island are the people who are on the cruise with you. I have never seen 2 ships at Coco Cay at the same time. If anyone else has, please let me know so I can correct this.



There are tons of things to do on Coco Cay. Obviously, you can spend nothing if you wish and just enjoy the day at the beach. There are a ton of "excursions" though. You can snorkel, kayak, ride wave runners, rent a floating mat, book a massage, visit the aqua park out on the ocean, or go on nature walks all for a small fee. I've snorkeled, kayaked, and enjoyed the aqua park. If you are worried about leaving your stuff out on the beach while you enjoy the amazing blue waters of the ocean, don't worry. For about $8, you can get a locker to keep everything you don't want to leave out. I've gotten one every time we have been to Coco Cay, and it is always one of the best purchases of the trip.


Being that this is RCI's island, they serve you lunch on the island. It is usually burgers/hot dogs, some fruit, a few sides and cookies. They have several picnic tables to sit at, though it gets crowded fast. I would suggest walking a little away from the food to find a picnic table.  


Getting to and from the island is done by tender. There are boats that run from the island to the ship and back about every 30 minutes, so you can come and go as you please. There are a few bars on the island as well. The signature drink is the Coco Loco. I get mine without rum, but they are delicious either way. 

Coco Cay is a wonderful relaxing island. I highly recommend you book a cruise that stops here so you really can just relax!


Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas USVI

Our second stop was St Thomas.  The day we were here was our anniversary, and I am so glad we spent the day here. 


This was by far our favorite place. We love the incredible views, and just the feel of St Thomas. We will probably vacation here at least once. We docked in Havensight, and had to take a taxi to Charlotte Amaile. 


Pictures just can't do this place justice. We were simply in awe of this place. We got a taxi, and ended up getting a tour of the island. Our taxi driver stopped in the middle of the road to show us this view, and I can honestly say I am so glad he did!


The view is simply breath taking. Between the beautiful water and all the green, it was love at first sight. I really feel like this view is the best in the world and I simply can not wait to go back.


We did a little shopping in Charlotte Amalie, but the driving around was the best. I sometimes felt like I was going to die, but for the most part, it was so great to see all the great views.


Back on board the ship, the views still were amazing. We spent so much time just sitting outside looking at the island. I would even consider buying a vacation house there. Dream big right?



Phillipsburg, St Maarten

Our last stop was St Maarten. While the island was still beautiful, it was nothing compared to St Thomas. 


When you pull up, you pull up into a small port. In order to get to the main island, you have to purchase a water taxi arm band. This takes you from the port to the main part of the island. Be warned that when you get off the water taxi, tons of people will try and sell you on taking a tour of the island, or beach chairs. It is a mad house. 


We walked around and shopped for a little while, but quickly learned that St Maarten wasn't for us. At least not the walking around part. When we go again, we will probably book and excursion of some kind during this day or just stay on the ship. 


The ports of call were all beautiful places and it was a great trip. I can't wait to go back again! 


2 comments:

  1. I am SO jealous of this amazing trip, glad you guys had SUCH a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fantastic trip! I am really looking forward to doing it all over again this year!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...