Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Married young.

So I have seen several bloggers post their responses to this post about "23 things to do instead of getting engaged before you are 23." I decided to jump right on that bandwagon because I have a whole lot of opinions on that.

Short version of our love story is this, we dated in high school, broke up, 3 years later, we got went on several dates over 2 months, officially started dating, then a whopping 3 months later, C popped the question, I asked if he was sick, then said yes. I was 19. C had just turned 20 earlier that month. What is the response I got you may ask? Simple, the ever popular, "are you pregnant?" No I wasn't pregnant. I had people tell me we were too young to get married if we weren't already pregnant. That is our society for you...


We were young and in love. We had several people try and tell us to wait. It even got to the point where there was some serious family drama going on. People kept trying to tell us to wait because we were so young. Looking back, if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heart beat. Why? Because I wouldn't be who I am if I had done a single thing different.




After a 13 month engagement, we wed at the ripe ol' age of 21. We had a beautiful wedding, and we are striving to have a marriage much more beautiful. At 21 years old, I knew where my life was headed. I knew what was in store for me. I had no regrets as C placed that ring on my finger. I wasn't thinking, "man I should have dated 2 guys at once to see how long it takes to blow up in my face." I was thinking, "wow, I am so lucky! I get to spend the rest of my life with my best friend."





I have been married for over 3 years now. In that 3 years, I have accomplished so many things with my wonderful husband by my side. He supports me. He is my biggest fan, my loudest cheerleader. He is always there right beside me as I discover myself. He wants me to be the best me I can be. I would not want my life to be any different.


I am a firm believer in marriage. My parents were divorced when I was young, and divorce is very present in my extended family. So many people today believe all marriages between young people are destined to fail, but I don't believe that for a second. I've never regretted my decision to marry young. C and I have a wonderful life together. We are there for each other, through thick and thin. We strengthen each other. We encourage each other. We are always there for each other. My 20's are such an amazing time of my life, and I am just so thankful that I get to go through them with my wonderful husband by my side.


When I asked C about his feelings about us getting married so young after I read that post, this is what he said.

"Being married young has it's benefits, but it also has it's drawbacks.We have gotten to grow up together, and establish habits with each other and break habits that we had formed before it got really hard to break. Sure, growing up together has some difficulties because we still have things we need to figure out, but it is a little easier to figure them out together. It is tougher being married young and before we established careers, but I think it makes us stronger for later years. I have no regrets about getting married married young. I would do it again."


''It is completely worth it. Best thing is waking up next to you every morning and knowing somebody loves me."


Getting to grow up and grow together with my husband has been the best experience I could ever imagine. We all are allowed to have our own opinions, so I commend the girl who posted her list. It has allowed so many others to share their opinions as well. 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...