Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I'm Gonna Make This Place Your Home

Hold on, to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road
And although this wave is stringing us along
Just know you're not alone
Cause I'm gonna make this place your home

Anyone else know that song? Phillip Phillips must have had C and I in mind with that song. I have been listening to music all day, and that song has just really touched my heart today. Let me explain. 

C and I met in high school. At that point in time, he had lived in the same house he always had, the house he helped his parents build. I had moved from the great city of Chattanooga to a little bitty town in GA. C and I dated in high school, and we fell in love. Things happen, and we ended up going our different ways. Fast forward a few years, and we meet up again. I had moved back to TN, then back to GA, then out of my mom's house and in with friends, and then back into my mom's house. Are you keeping up?? That is a total of 5 moves for me. C had moved with his family into a different home not far from where they were living before. That is 1 move for him. Obviously by this time I should be a professional mover...

We dated, got engaged, and C moved back into his childhood home. Cait = 5 C = 2. When C and I got married, the job I had before the wedding, well I had issues with it and time off wasn't granted, and long story short, I put in my notice. Basically, I was getting ready to go into a marriage with no job, and my soon to be husband working as a mechanic not making enough to support us both. Que the stress. We got married, I moved in with him, and I enjoyed a wonderful honeymoon, and when we got back, I talked to my dad, and it worked out that I was going to work for him. The plan was only to work for him for about a year or less, but more on that later. So I had been married for about a week and a half, and I packed up my stuff and headed back to TN for a few days to work. As November and December went by, I was leaving for longer periods of time. I was gone a whole week once. Leaving is not something I wanted to do, but I had to. I had to help contribute to our family of 2. Fast forward to mid January, and I had manage to convince C to move to Chattanooga. I asked him to just give me 3 years. That way I would have gotten enough experience in a job and it would be easier to find a job that transferred skill wise. After a lot of begging and pleading, I got C to say yes. I went up to TN, and C followed a few days later to look for a job. That Wednesday, he headed back to GA with 3 job offers. He put in his 2 week notice, and by the first of February, we were in TN for the next 3 years. We literally up and left. We had 2 weeks to pack up everything we were going to need, and get to TN so he could start his new job and I could work more for my dad. We moved in with my dad since it was such a fast move. Cait = 7 C = 3. 

C was homesick a lot at first. I remember telling him over and over again that I knew if he just gave Chatty a chance he would love living here. But we were going back to GA almost every weekend. He wanted to be "home." I didn't complain, but I kept reminding him that he promised me 3 years in TN. At one point he was almost begging me to move back. He missed GA, and I don't blame him, but I stuck to my guns and I told him to just give Chattanooga a chance. Soon, a year had past and we were moving out of my dad's house and into an apartment. Cait = 8 C = 4. 

Those 6 months in the apartment I think are what sealed the deal on Chatty for C. Those 6 months he gave Chattanooga a chance, and I think he fell in love. In September, we moved out of the apartments and back into my dad's house since he had moved out because he got married. Cait = 9 C = 5.

C will now say that he is not going back to GA. If something horrible were to happen and we ended up not together, C would actually stay in Chattanooga. We love this place and I am proud to say that we both now call this "home". I remember telling him that he would fall in love with this place, and I was right. He did. 

Chattanooga is our home, and where we plan to grow old together. We plan on raising our children here. It is a wonderful city and I am glad that I loved this place enough for the both of us when he didn't love it. Since C and I have been together, he has moved twice as much as he had before he and I were together. I sometimes feel bad because I feel like I made him move around too much. I feel like I pressure him to come to Chattanooga, but at the time we both knew it was what was best for us. 

I told you that working for my dad was only the plan for the year right? Well I am quickly approaching my 3 year wedding anniversary, along with my 3 year anniversary of working for my dad. C has been at the same job since we moved here. We are happy here. We are happy with the jobs we have. And for those that are skeptical, I have earned my job with my dad. I take pride in my job. I am an employee just like the other employees we have and if I don't do my job or if I take advantage of the fact that my boss is my dad, I will be let go. I am not always guaranteed this job and I am happy about that because it means I have to continue to earn my place in the company. 

If you had told me after I had graduated high school that I was going to be married to C, that I would be living in Chattanooga, and that I would be working for my dad, I would have probably laughed at you. I fell in love with C in high school, but after we went our different ways, I never imagined that we would end up together. And I never imagined that I would be working for my dad. I did however imagine that I would be living in Chattanooga. I love how unexpected life is. 

Moving to Chattanooga was hard for us. We left family and friends to go live where we just knew my dad and my now step mom and her kids. We knew no one. Since moving here, I we have made friends that live 2 hours away, and that is about it. So knowing that we don't have friends that are physically close to us has made us rely on each other even more. Through making Chattanooga "home" for C, and relying on each other, I can honestly say that this time has been the best of my life. I am so blessed beyond measure!! 

Today's post is a little random yes, but it has been on my mind a lot lately and it has been nice to share. Thanks for putting up with my rambling if you are still reading this. You deserve a cupcake! :)



2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. Now I want a cupcake. Thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sending you a virtual cupcake!! :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...